Formation of CCZ
The Council of Churches in Zambia (CCZ) has been in existence since 1964. It was first called the General Missionary Conference and its main responsibility was to promote cooperation between the missionary societies in areas such as education, health and religious broadcasting.
The name was later changed to the Christian Council of Northern Rhodesia in 1944. At the eve of independence in 1963, there was a pressing need for the Council to start responding to the growing social demands of the people. Upon independence in 1964. CCNR changed its name to Christian Council of Zambia. At the 26th General Conference, the current name Council of Churches in Zambia was adopted.