The Council of Churches in Zambia has been in existence since 1914. It was first called the General Missionary Conference and its main responsibility was to promote cooperation between the missionary societies in areas such as education, health and religious broadcasting. The name was later changed to the Christian Council of Northern Rhodesia (CCNR) in 1944. Upon independence in 1964, the CCNR changed its name to Christian Council of Zambia serving as an ecumenical organization to strengthen Christian unity and promotion of social justice, peace and development. It was until the year 2003 that the name was again changed to the present day, the Council of Churches in Zambia.
WHO WE ARE
The Council of Churches in Zambia (CCZ) is an ecumenical umbrella organization of Christian churches that seeks to promote cooperation and fellowship between Christian churches and organizations in the nation. The Council, therefore, seeks to bring together its members and stakeholders for consultation and discussion in an effort to help form an enlightened Christian opinion on all issues affecting the spiritual, social and physical wellbeing of Zambians.
The vision of the Council of Churches in Zambia is to be a prophetic voice with a transformative impact on the church and society.
The mission of the Council of Churches in Zambia is to strengthen Christian unity and to advocate for social justice, peace and development through facilitation, resource mobilization, capacity building, coordination, spreading of the gospel and networking with stakeholders for the benefit of the people of Zambia to the glory of the triune God.
FUNDAMENTAL VALUES AND CONVICTIONS
All activities of the Council of Churches in Zambia seek to be expressions of the following fundamental values:
- Belief in the triune God,
- Ecumenical dialogue
The following are the goals of the Council of Churches in Zambia:
- To contribute to the growth of the Christian faith
- To foster unity, fellowship and co-operation among member churches, affiliate organizations and Christians
- To facilitate and co-ordinate relevant and quality programmes that address the needs of people in member churches to restore human dignity
- To offer consultancy services to member churches and organizations for capacity building, a holistic Christian ministry and increased self-sustainability
- To offer leadership to member churches and organizations with regards to social crises and exigencies
- To facilitate theological reflection and higher-level theological research to encourage understanding of the implications of the Gospel for the African Church and society
- To promote social justice, peace and development through advocacy
- To establish an effective communication system for information sharing with the Zambian society, member churches and organizations
- To offer mitigation and mediation on issues affecting the member churches and affiliate organizations
- The General Conference comprising member churches and partners;
- The Executive Board Committee;
- The Board;
- Program Officers;
- General staff.